Tuesday 31 July 2018

Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger

Picked up a Tamiya KT for under £300 -





It doesn't have the battle system fitted but does have metal tracks/sprockets.

For as long as I can remember I've always wanted a Tam KT but after playing with this for a while I've got to say I was expecting better.

I have the old Matorro and Heng Long versions but this doesn't seem to be worth the extra expense. Sure the suspension and the way it moves is better then both Matorro and HL, the level of detail is better (it is a model not a toy), the electronics/sound is way better (though HL have made huge improvements recently). The proportional speed I like but I don't like the controls, maybe that's because I'm so used to one stick for the turret and one for movement and buttons for firing.

It's sitting on the desk next to me and I'm thinking of the things that need changing -
The stick on zimmerite is bloody awful.
The hull over the tracks needs extending as there's a gap between the sides.
And the biggest gripe is the turret. The traverse is noisy as hell and elevation is way too flimsy.
The recoil is bad but at least the tanks deosn't jump back.

I'm not saying it's a bad tank and I think I got a bargain, but for a tank that costs over £500 new I was expecting to be blown away.

Maybe it's because I've been in the hobby long enough the remember the HL vs Tam wars that used to break out on the forums and owning a Tam was just a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment